Monday, June 2, 2008

GAINT OF AFRICA

My godfather is a nigerian born canadian citizen who is based in canada and has lived there almost all his life.Lets call him “my eze”.Everytime we meet physically or we chat online we have heated debates about Nigeria,her problems and the way out.My eze always used harsh words that I find offensive to describe the state of Nigeria and this would eventually make me feel uncomfortable and ashamed to be called a Nigerian.My eze would say something like “It’s a jungle out there in Nigeria” “How do you guys cope?” “I always feel sad and reluctant when I have to come to Nigeria” “Nothing works!” “I’m frustrated about Nigeria” “The people in Nigeria are chickens,they ought to have rebelled against their egocentric government,take a cue from Kenya,odinga is sticking to his guns against the incumbent president” “You have no leadership,your leaders are all rogues” e.t.c….

It may sound to you my eze doesn’t give a damn about Nigeria(that’s the way I used to feel but I realized he is saying the undiluted acidic truth) far from it!He is passionate about this country.He was in charge of the campaign team of the present prime minister of Canada,he is an international trade broker and consultant to Canadian government and has connections worldwide(he once told me he was on the phone with Clinton) and he has used his connections to set up a multinational NGO africawecare they ship relief materials and freebies to African countries except Nigeria because the nigerian customs never allowed their containers out of the port for funny and flimsy excuses but they have built a borehole in Imo state.

I always thought my eze’s statements were harsh and gave us(Nigeria) a mark of 40% because of the level of “development and civilization” in Lagos and some parts of Abuja but some weeks back I traveled by road to Oyo,Osun and Yobe state,it was during this experience I realised my eze’s harsh statements are the true picture of things!Yeah,I know driving on Lagos overstretched roads with all its pot holes is like playing Mario kart or crash bandicot racing but traveling on those roads outside Lagos was a “badder” experience.I know you know most of nigeria’s problems but we in Lagos,Abuja and port harcort don’t know how alarming it is!Its more catastrophic in other states As we our convoy moved through Oyo,all I saw were 19th century structures,illiterates,dirty surroundings.We have no infrastructures in place at all in this country,Nepa offices are using generators,fire fighters don’t have water,police officers lend weapons and ammunitions to criminals,criminals even have superior firepowers to our police’s e.t.c.Do u know Yobe is so bad the governor doesn’t reside there?He comes all the way from Abuja!Those guys in Yobe are “mallams”,so illiterate,ignorant and superstitious and the wealthy northerners are feeding on their ignorance.I’m so tired of talking about Nigeria’s problems they are so numerous,where do I start where do I stop?It already wears my heart down as I type and I’m dejected cos I’m passionate about her.I feel helpless,I’m like a romeo while she is a drug addicted mentally retarded beautiful Juliet with cancer of the lungs!

I prefer to discuss the solutions and take actions!If you were president of Nigeria what would u do?Alot of people say our major problem is corruption but I say its bad leadership.Corruption is just a fallout of bad leadership.Alot of people talk in Nigeria but no actions.My questions are what have u done or doing to help build Nigeria and what are your solutions?What would you do if u were president?

21 comments:

NikkiSab said...

I am first!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank u , thank u...no autographs today.....hurrayyyy..let me go read

NikkiSab said...

Wow... sometimes its easier said dan done but u godfada is right. 9ja is in dire need of leaders who love not just demselves and dose close to dem but d citizens de av promised to lead. We av self centred leaders who dont see beyound dia own backyard and till we solve dis inhumanity and laxk of love for one anoda, i'm afraid we r doomed. Rioting may bring a solution in d long run but it would bring about so much hate, injury, destruction which means we will be set back some years. Promises made should be kept by dese elected leaders. I will av to commend Gov. Fashola of lagos, he is trying to make changes. To be honest "We know say leaders go chop, but at least make dem also try to do sometins no be to chop alone and leave d society stagnant or worse dan de met it." Bros, u don make me ova yarn. I pray 9ja will be BETTER!!!

thetalkingdrum said...

dude i was also in yobe about a month back for youth service....and my guy I felt the same way i realised this country is 100th world country...4get third world

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Great questions!!!! I personally would never want to be president. Its a thankless job in certain places. Presidents who have the fortune or misfortune of getting the job behind a predecessor that did not do a good enough job, can get covered with the former president's bad reputation. And, if you come in after a good president, you have to struggle to get your own agenda across.

Yeah, not my cup of tea. But I promise you, Uncle, Wellsbaba, that I do my own tiny little bit to help my beloved Nigeria. When you run for office, let me know and I'll help you out. lol!

=)

Unknown said...

"Driving on Lagos overstretched roads with all its pot holes is like playing Mario kart or crash bandicot racing but traveling on those roads outside Lagos was a “badder” experience". That really had me cracking up man.

The problems are vast and so are the solutions, though I don't know what they are. It all looks hopeless. My opinion!

Femi B said...

Nice post, I think Nigeria's problem is not necessarily the leaders. We can blame the govt. for all we like, but the truth of the matter is the people that make up the government. When ever i am in Nigeria, i see the common man has no idea of laws,or pays attention to common laws and etiquette. So if as an individual you are so lawless and do not have regard for laws, how would you be able to govern a country well if given the chance.
If i were president, (and i am on the road to that),i would
Build more prisons, courts,police stations, invest in lawyers, police, the judiciary system and all the works to enforce abiding to laws. Economic growth and development can only prevail when law abides efficiently.

O'Dee said...

"I prefer to discuss the solutions"
thats d best thing 2 do, talking about d problems will just make one angry.

I will not b d president of Nigeria & neither will I go in2 politics. I will just contribute my quota in the environment i find myself n pray 4 d leaders.

wellsbaba said...

nikkisab u too sabi...lol
@sexy nija dude dats nice oo my friend was also posted there,her name is bola show
@solomonsydelle lol ironically I dont wanna b president but I jst feel4dis country
@olu im tellin u mehn its crazier than crash bndicot!
@femi b,well said but the truth is dat pple jst dnt wake up one day n bcom lawabidin citizens..its d govt or some institution that influences them
@oluwadee....if only u wud use that weapon called prayer powerfully49ja errday

Femi B said...

Well, like i said, i would build more prisons....etc and force people...then being law abiding would come in as second nature to folks. As for Presidency...my immediate intentions are to make more women involved in the govt almost on a 50/50 level to their male counterparts. Cos women are the majority voters so imagine if we all turned our backs on this men who have failed us for years and back that woman president..(maybe Me) The sky is the limit!!!!!!!

Mz. Dee said...

I think i agree with SOL... i wudnt want to be president.. but i really do think that corruption is where the bad leadership generates from. Even those that are percieved to be good, turn into something else when the power gets into their hands..
Nigerians simply need to take a stand...I'm not sure I know what i'd do..Hope u get better answers from other bloggers
Xx

naijaleta said...

I have read your post on Nigeria but after you dropped a line on mine I decided to drop you another line to read my recent post on how to solve Nigeria's problems.

wellsbaba said...

Mz.dee lazy girl,u no won b president,wen u too lyk sleep...lol..pls Mz.dee do somtin4modaland abeg...try develop dis place even if its a widows might,its somtin!
9jaleta...I go check am n also lookup for my own solutions

WeirdGurl said...

Happy father's day.
http://weirdbabe.blogspot.com/

Mz. Dee said...

Oya let me rily yarn my church mind..lol
If I were president...
I'd want to deal with the 9ja universities.
If we can make dem better.. dang. we cud change a lot bout nigeria's future.
After all itz those dat r there now, dat'll be there 2mrw.. all these old men in power are nearin their graves(i'm nt wishin any1 death, jst statin d obvious).
Riotin lyk nikkisab said is def not the answer..i doubt any leaders keep to their promises.. its all just "talk and grab my share" campaign. People value material thingz more than their country. How can u want to rule a country but only care about urself??
Presidency in nigeria is nt treated with a lot of respect. If it was, not every old man dat makes a promise wud be able to get in. Its treated with 'how much can i get 4rm dis one'.
Politics just needs to come clean.

Today's ranting said...

Hmmmmm very serious and sensitive issue. I do love Niger so much and when I hear fellow folks speak about Nigeria with so much contempt anD pessimism I get so worried. But when we look at things goin on one would not blame them. There hasnt been any significant development and I continue to wonder day by day what exactly our government is doing. There is bad news every where from blogs, the Nigerian media and fellow citizens. Aint anything good happening at all? Nigerians need to undergo a revolutionary change of the mindset. All good for nothing obnoxious insensitive, greedy and selfish leaders with no conscience should be flushed out of the system. Only heavens knows the day things should be the way they ought to be in our beloved Nigeria. This is so pathetic! I dont even know what to say again. May God help us.Perhaps God will have to come down from heaven to rule the nation. Hmmm sigh.

tankojjetty said...

we...yes, me and you are the problems of nigeria....
so as long as we can get our mind right...
we love breaking rules, its in our psyche...
imagine you lining up to use the atm and someone jumps the queue...
the solution to nigeria's prob is if me and you do things right with no favourtism...

i wouldnt want to be president though...no lets empower ourselves first

Anonymous said...

What a nice post. I really love reading these types or articles. I can?t wait to see what others have to say.

Unknown said...

polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany and co, longchamp, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, burberry, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin shoes, louboutin pas cher, ugg boots, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton, ugg boots, prada outlet, gucci outlet, nike free, replica watches, louis vuitton, air jordan pas cher, nike air max, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, christian louboutin outlet, chanel handbags, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin outlet, air max, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike outlet, longchamp outlet, sac longchamp, jordan shoes, nike free, kate spade outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, louboutin, michael kors, nike roshe run, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses

Unknown said...

nike roshe, ugg boots, michael kors, vanessa bruno, lacoste pas cher, michael kors, hermes, nike blazer, mulberry, ray ban uk, michael kors outlet, air force, hollister, abercrombie and fitch, michael kors outlet, north face, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher, sac guess, north face, nike air max, vans pas cher, hogan, coach purses, kate spade handbags, true religion jeans, tn pas cher, true religion jeans, timberland, lululemon, nike air max, michael kors outlet, replica handbags, michael kors, burberry outlet online, oakley pas cher, michael kors, coach outlet, new balance pas cher, burberry, coach outlet, michael kors outlet, ralph lauren uk, converse pas cher, hollister pas cher, ugg boots, nike air max, nike free run uk

Unknown said...

baseball bats, converse outlet, nike roshe, nike huarache, ralph lauren, soccer shoes, nike trainers, lancel, gucci, asics running shoes, bottega veneta, birkin bag, celine handbags, insanity workout, timberland boots, valentino shoes, ray ban, nfl jerseys, louboutin, herve leger, instyler, reebok shoes, lululemon, hollister, wedding dresses, oakley, beats by dre, new balance, nike air max, babyliss, longchamp, north face outlet, abercrombie and fitch, p90x workout, north face outlet, ghd, hollister, ferragamo shoes, mont blanc, iphone cases, mac cosmetics, soccer jerseys, giuseppe zanotti, nike air max, mcm handbags, chi flat iron, vans shoes, hollister, jimmy choo shoes, vans

Unknown said...

louis vuitton, coach outlet, louis vuitton, montre pas cher, moncler, replica watches, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, marc jacobs, canada goose, canada goose outlet, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, doudoune canada goose, sac louis vuitton pas cher, moncler, toms shoes, pandora charms, thomas sabo, canada goose, hollister, pandora jewelry, moncler, pandora jewelry, links of london, canada goose uk, ugg pas cher, karen millen, pandora charms, ugg boots uk, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler, swarovski, canada goose, moncler outlet, bottes ugg, louis vuitton, wedding dresses, canada goose outlet, moncler, canada goose, swarovski crystal, moncler, juicy couture outlet, juicy couture outlet, supra shoes